Xfinity router/modem blinking blue signifies WPS pairing mode. In simple words, it is looking to pair a secure connection with a wireless device. And once the connection is established, the Xfinity gateway blinks white light.
However, if the blinking blue light on the Xfinity gateway continues, it means the device cannot find a stable client and is stuck in pairing mode. And the uncomplicated fix to this issue is to long press the WPS button to restart the pairing mode.
Your issue should most probably be fixed at this stage. But if it doesn’t, keep reading as I shall discuss all possible causes and fixes in subsequent sections.
- It is in pairing mode
- It is trying to establish a connection with another wireless device
- Internet outage in your area
- Loose wires or cables
- Faulty splitter interrupting the connection
- The router is out of order
Now that you know the reasons behind the Xfinity box blinking blue, it’s time to fix this issue once and for all.
1. Power Cycle Xfinity xFi Gateway
If long-pressing the WPS button could not fix your xFi XB6 wireless gateway, you need to power cycle and restart the device manually.
Steps to Power Cycle your Xfinity Gateway:
- Turn off the gateway.
- Remove the plug from the power supply.
- Wait for five to ten seconds.
- Put the cable back in the socket and switch on the router.
- Wait till you see a white light on the router.
A white light on the router means the device is ready for a stable connection. But if you see the blue light on the router again, time to follow other troubleshooting methods.
2. Look for Loose or Damaged Connections
Another way to fix the Xfinity blinking blue light is by inspecting cables, wires, splitter, and the wall jack for damage or moisture.
Steps to Inspect Connections:
- Unplug all connections and wires.
- Look for physical damage and moisture in wires, router ports, splitter, and the wall jack.
- If you find any fault, you must get it replaced.
- Restart the router to check for white light.
3. Restart Home Network Devices
If you have a separate modem and router (over the combo setup), you need to troubleshoot the connection between the router and the modem.
Steps to Restart Home Network Devices:
- Switch off the router and disconnect it and the modem from the power socket.
- Now, remove the ethernet cable between the router and the modem.
- Wait for some time, maybe five to ten minutes.
- Now, reconnect the modem to the power supply.
- Also, plug in the router to the power source and switch on the device.
- Wait till the connection is restored.
Most probably, you won’t get the Xfinity router blinking blue light issue now.
4. Factory Reset Internet Equipment
If nothing above works for you and Xfinity blue blinking light is still present, it’s time to factory reset the device. There are two ways you can do it:
- Through Mobile App
- Through Reset Button
Steps to Factory Reset The Router Through Mobile App:
- Open the Xfinity app on your phone.
- Scroll down a bit and select internet.
- Now, choose the device you want to restart.
- iOS users simply click on Reset.
- Android users click on Troubleshoot and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Once you are done resetting, the device will reboot itself, and all the previous settings will be lost. Now, check again if you are getting blue light or white light.
Steps to Factory Reset the Router Manually:
- At the back of the router, you will find a reset button.
- Take a pin and press and hold the reset button for a few seconds.
- The device will restart itself.
5. Replace Equipment
Lastly, if even resetting doesn’t solve the issue, your gateway has become bad/faulty and you’d need to replace it. If it’s rented from the ISP, reach out to customer support, explain to them and ask for a replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Xfinity gateway blinking blue means the device is finding it difficult to connect to the WPS-enable client. In that case, just long-press the WPS button on the router and see if that fixes the same.
The round button in the back and above the ethernet cables is the WPS button. I’ve highlighted it in the picture below.
Simply switch off the router and remove it from the power source. Wait for a few minutes and then plug in the device and restart it again.
There are times when your Xfinity modem/router flashes blue light. However, there is nothing to worry about. Simply long press the WPS button and wait for the device to restart. But if you still see blue light, you follow this article and troubleshoot the issue.