The blinking white light on the Verizon router indicates that the device is trying to boot up and should stabilize in some time. However, if it continues to flash and there is no internet, it means there’s an issue syncing or connecting to the FiOS network.
This white color can appear suddenly or while installing the FiOS internet, and there can be several reasons for it, which I’ll discuss shortly. But the quickest way to fix it is to reboot, power cycle, or reset the FiOS router.
- Why is My Verizon Router Blinking White?
- How To Fix Verizon Router That Flashes White Light?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Poor signal quality
- Internet outage in your area
- An issue with the configuration
- A potential firmware update
- A problem with the hardware
- Malware detected
- Faulty splitter or cables
How To Fix Verizon Router That Flashes White Light?
I faced a similar issue while testing and reviewing the FiOS G3100 gateway. In my case, it was blinking blue, which led me to explore the official community forum, and to my surprise, many people were facing similar issues.
After detailed diagnosis, here are some of the tried and tested methods to fix the flashing white light on a Verizon router:
1. Reboot the Verizon Router
Like any other electronic device, here also, I will suggest rebooting it. It may fix the glitch, and your connection will be restored.
Steps to Reboot the Verizon FiOS Router:
- Open Chrome or any web browser and visit http://192.168.1.1
- Enter your ID and Password.
- It will open up the Admin WebGUI login page.
- Now, tap on Advanced from the top menu.
- Under the advanced settings, tap on Utilities and Reboot Router’.
- Give the device a few seconds till it restarts.
- If you see a constant white light, your issue has been resolved.
However, if the ring light continues to blink white, it is time to go for the troubleshooting methods listed below.
2. Check for Loose Connections
I tried rebooting but had no luck, and yet the result is the same. Now is the time to check the cables. Sometimes, the issue lies in the wires connected to the router or the power source. Make sure you have inspected everything well.
Steps to Check for Loose Connections:
- Check for any faulty or damaged wires.
- Disconnect all the cables to check for any dirty or damaged wires.
- Check the inside ports of the router for dust and dirt and blow them if any.
- Replace the damaged cables immediately to get over Verizon’s white blinking light.
- Connect all the cables and wires back and restart the router. See if the connection is back or not.
3. Perform a Power Cycle
The next thing you can do is ensure no power is supplied to the router. By doing so, you can fix any software or hardware-related issues.
Steps to Power Cycle the Verizon Router:
- Switch off the router and remove the power cables.
- Make sure there is no power reaching the router.
- Wait for five to ten minutes.
- Reconnect the line to the power supply and switch on the router.
- Wait till the status light turns solid white.
4. Update the Router Firmware
It might be that a firmware update is pending, and you have no idea about the same. So, make sure to check for any updates.
Steps to Update the Router Firmware:
- Log in to the web portal of your router.
- Go to the System Settings section.
- Now, check there if any update is available.
- If yes, download and install it.
This will most probably help you with the FiOS blinking white light issue. However, if the white light is still there, do the following.
5. Prevent Router from Overheating
You might need to check if your router is getting heated up more than regular. Sometimes, the router may face overheating issues. It could be because the router is getting used more than its bandwidth.
Steps to Prevent Router from Overheating:
- Change the location of the router to a cooler place.
- Check there is no dirt around the router.
- Avoid putting anything above the router.
- Ensure there is proper open space around the router.
- Avoid keeping the router in closed cabinets or near heated sources like microwaves, stoves, etc.
6. Factory Reset the Router
If the above-given troubleshooting methods did not help you, you might need to factory reset your Verizon router. But know that, doing so, all your settings will be erased. Hence, make sure you have made a backup of important things beforehand.
Steps to Hard Reset the Router:
- At the back of the router, you will see a reset button.
- Using any pin, press and hold the button for twenty seconds.
- The router will restart itself.
- All the previous settings will be lost, and you will have to reset the settings again.
- By now, the white light blinking on a FiOS router should be gone.
7. Contact Support
When all is said and done, your device can be faulty, and nothing works for you. The only option left is to replace it. Contact a technician for gateway replacement/upgrade if you’re renting the device.
- Get in touch with customer support via live chat.
- Ask the technician to come home and check the device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally, your Verizon router should show a stable white light if connected to the internet. A blinking white light means the device is getting booted up or there is an issue with the internet.
If your router is showing any color other than white, like Blue, red, Orange, yellow, etc., the router finds it difficult to establish a connection.
You can change the configuration setting of your router through an app or Chrome. Log in to your account, and modify the settings accordingly.
There is no hard and fast rule to that. Whenever you see an issue with the router, you can try rebooting it.
A blinking white ring light on the FiOS router is one of the most common issues many users encounter. Troubleshooting the same is easier. You can begin by restarting the device. The majority of chances lie that the issue will only be fixed at this step. But if not, you can try the other solutions explained above.