The blinking red light on the AT&T router indicates that it ain’t getting internet access from the service provider or there’s no proper power supply. There could be some other reasons, too, which I shall discuss later in this post.
AT&T router comes with different status lights, and the red light can flash on any of them. So, the first step is determining which of the AT&T modem/router lights is blinking red. When you have an answer, you can opt for the relevant solution.
Here’s a table that shows where a red light can appear and what it means:
|Light Name / Symbol||State||Meaning|
|Power||Red||Router isn’t getting proper power supply|
|Battery||Blinking Red||Battery needs a replacement|
|Broadband 1 & 2||Blinking Red||Router can't connect to AT&T network
or isn’t getting a DSL signal
|Blinking Green and Red||Router is trying to connect to the ATT
network for more than 3 minutes
|Service||Red||Internet service authentication has
- Why Is My ATT Router Blinking Red?
- How To Fix The AT&T WiFi Broadband Light Red?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My ATT Router Blinking Red?
To figure out the potential reasons, I took the AT&T gateway and set up the internet connection. On the first attempt, even I witnessed broadband 1 and 2 blinking red on my unit. I went through the community forum to know similar issues.
Here are the most common reasons behind a flashing red light on an ATT router:
- The router is having issues connecting to the internet.
- The router is not able to get a proper power supply.
- There is some software bug.
- AT&T service in your area is facing an internet outage.
- There is a possible hardware issue.
How To Fix The AT&T WiFi Broadband Light Red?
Here, I have shared 9 tried and tested methods to troubleshoot AT&T broadband light blinking red. You can check these methods individually and see what works best for you.
All such connectivity issues are often faced due to the bad hardware performance of the ISP-supplied gateway. I suggest getting your own router for AT&T Fiber or U-verse connection to get over this once and for all.
1. Restart AT&T Router
Start troubleshooting the AT&T router by restarting it. Most of the time, rebooting or restarting the device can fix errors in a jiffy.
Steps to Restart the AT&T router:
- Turn off the router and remove the cable from the switchboard.
- Wait for at least 30-40 seconds.
- Connect the cable to the router again and switch it on.
- Wait for a few seconds till the router restarts itself.
- If you see the white light on the router, that means you are now connected to the internet, and your issue has been fixed.
2. Power Cycle Your Router
Power cycling means restarting the router while ensuring no power is left in it. It is a great way to fix any hardware or software-related issue. If your router has any bug, it will be fixed at this step, thus eliminating the red light flashing issue as well.
Steps to Power Cycle the AT&T Router:
- Remove the plug of the router from the switchboard to ensure it is disconnected from the power supply.
- Wait for one to two minutes.
- Connect the plug again and turn on the router.
- Wait till all the lights on a router are turned on.
3. Check for Maintenance or Internet Outage
There are times when the issue is from the local provider’s end. The AT&T service in your area could be under maintenance or an unexpected internet outage. And that might result in disconnecting the router from the internet.
Steps to Check for Maintenance or Internet Outage:
- Get in touch with your local internet provider and ask about the maintenance.
- Look for official updates on internet outages.
- If that is the case, you will have to wait till the issue is fixed from their end.
4. Check Cables & Wall Jack
A loose cable can also be a reason as your router won’t get a proper power supply, resulting in a disconnected internet.
- Make a habit of checking the cables often.
- If you find any loose wires, tighten them up.
- Also, replace any faulty or damaged cable.
5. Check The Device for Warm / Overheating
Sometimes, the router does not work properly because of overheating. It can be because of frequent usage or using the router more than the capacity.
Steps to Cool Down the Overheated Router:
- Switch off the router for a few minutes and allow it to cool.
- Once it cools down, you can turn it on again and check for any red lights.
- If you don’t find one, your issue has been resolved.
- But if you still get the light flashing, most probably, the problem lies in the software.
6. Check Verizon Router for Overloading
Another reason why your AT&T router is flashing red could be overloading. As the name suggests, it happens when you have used the router more than its bandwidth limit.
Steps to Overcome Router/Modem Overloading:
- Disconnect all the devices connected to the router.
- Limit the number of devices that can be connected to the router at a time.
- Restart the router again and check for white lights.
7. Update the Software
All said and done, you are still getting the red light, this means the problem lies with the software, and you might need to update it.
Steps to Update the Router Firmware:
- Go to Chrome or any other web browser on your mobile or PC.
- Now, open Smart Home Manager and sign in to your account there.
- Then, look for the Network section.
- Now, find Home Network Hardware.
- Finally, select the WiFi gateway and check your device details.
- Look for any new software updates.
- If you find one, download and install it.
- Restart your router, and the software will be updated automatically, thereby fixing the blinking red issue on your AT&T router.
8. Factory Reset Verizon WiFi Router
If you haven’t found your solution, you must go for the Factory reset option. But know that all your previous settings will be deleted after this, hence make sure to keep a backup of important things.
Steps to Reset AT&T Router:
- Look at the back of the router, you will find a small pinhole.
- Press and hold that hole for a few minutes using a safety pin or needle.
- Two to three minutes later, the router restarts while restoring the connection.
- Try to connect to the internet. If you can do so, your issue has been resolved.
9. Contact Support
Lastly, you will need to contact the technician or customer support if nothing works. Their executive will come to your home and check the router to catch the issue. You might even need to replace the device.
Frequently Asked Questions
AT&T router flashing red means it is having an issue connecting to the broadband or not getting enough power supply. Sometimes, the red light issue occurs because of low service from the local distributor.
There are several methods to fix the red light on broadband ATT. The easiest method is to reboot the router. Also, check if the cables are connected tightly or not.
If your device is connected to the WiFi, but there is no internet service available, this indicates the broadband service is down. You might need to troubleshoot the AT&T router in that case.
It’s not a big deal if your ATT broadband flashes red as long as you know how to fix the issue. Hopefully, this post will help you fix the red light issue on your router. If you cannot solve it, you must contact customer support.
Leave a Reply